Tuesday, May 21, 2013

4 oz. candles, an early study

Recently I posted about buying a few of the 4 oz. size candles which have been on sale for $5. I've heard they burn badly and I got to experience it first hand in the last few days. My first victims ahem, candidates, were Strawberry Picnic and Watermelon Lemonade. I chose Strawberry Picnic because I wanted to see how it smells when burned, and Watermelon Lemonade to compliment the wallflower in my bedroom. 

The results have been interesting. As of roughly 10 hours put into WL and 6 into SP here were my findings.

Side by side.

SP has a thicker wick which is shorter and perhaps this is the biggest downfall to burning this one. Once the wax pool forms (or tries to) the wick very nearly drowned. The candle showed signs of tunneling. When the wax pool wouldn't extend any further, I snuffed it out and used a papertowel to sop up some of the wax to give me a longer wick almost. The results have been promising. I was able to achieve a full wax pool with no tunneling after this. The jar is kind of messy because I almost knocked it off the counter after putting it out. Oops.

WL has a thinner, taller wick and formed a near complete wax pool but also tried to tunnel. Once again, I used the paper towel technique and avoided utter catastrophe. What maintenance these little guys are. They take so long to form a wax pool too. WL took roughly 4 hours burn time today to finally reach the edges. No wonder they burn forever it seems! On the bright side, the throw for WL isn't bad for such a little guy and the SP was also nice, though not as strong which is perhaps good considering the smell could be sickening if too strong given how sweet it is.

I'll see if these guys will burn completely down and reuse the jars as I finish them. I'll perhaps light another one up before these finish to compare further. So far I am concluding that I won't be purchasing anymore of these guys. 

No tunneling! Heavy maintenance required....

No comments:

Post a Comment